Get Set to Enter the Animation Industry
Experienced animators will tell you: animation requires both technical and visual expertise. You’ll get both from a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Visual Design with a specialization in Animation at BEAU.
When you earn a BFA in Animation from BEAU, you will gain a solid foundation in 2D and 3D animation design techniques, principles, and technologies. You’ll also learn to network with professionals and create compelling animations that could lead to an exciting career in the film, games, graphic design, and more.
What You’ll Learn
BEAU’s Animation specialization prepares you to:
- Utilize current technologies for modeling and animating
- Build texture maps incorporating light, shade, color, and detail
- Use form, shape, structure, and silhouette appropriately in modeling
- Generate creative content in the form of concept art
- Work with the best animation software in the industry, including Autodesk Maya, Toon Boom, Zbrush, and the Adobe Suite
How long does it take?
Graduate in as little as three years by taking 15 credits per quarter, year round.
How much can I make?
Mean salary for multimedia artists and animators.
Bureau of Labor Statistics 2016
How long do classes last?
BEAU offers four start times each year so that you can get going on your degree right away.
BEAU Is No Ordinary Arts School
Instead of classrooms, you’ll get 24/7 access to creative spaces, specialty labs, and studios furnished with industry-standard equipment.
Animation careers are built on more than just concept art. That’s why BEAU teams up with the local art industry to offer real-world experience and internships. You’ll graduate with a portfolio that will impress any exec.
You’ll learn from industry-experienced instructors who bring their real-world knowledge to you. They’ve spent years building successful careers and will help you do the same.
Abe Day - Instructor
Abe received his BFA from BYU in 1999, studying traditional illustration and painting as well as an emphasis in 3D animation and computer graphics. Even before he graduated from BYU, he began working in the video game industry as a character artist. He is now president of Attraction Studios.
- President at Attraction Studios
- Character Lead, Character Artist, Concept Artist, Game Designer, and Animation Engineer at Disney Interactive
Mark Sorenson -- Instructor
Mark Sorenson, a Utah-based artist, is dean of education at BEAU. He has educational foundation in 3D animation, illustration, and fine arts, and practical experience as a concept artist in game design for the Waterford Institute. He earned a BFA in graphic design from Utah State, and an MFA in writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Prior to serving as dean, Mark was game program chair and an associate dean.
- Lead artist, Waterford Institute
- Multimedia artist, TD Ameritrade
Curriculum Designed for Animators
Game Animation Courses
Learn what it takes to breathe life and emotion into a 3D character. Work with a team to create an animated sequence for a game.
Dynamic Animation Courses
With the guidance of industry-experienced leaders, you’ll create stunning animations using professional software like ZBrush and Maya.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Visual Design in Animation program are prepared for careers as:
- 3D modeler
- Character animator
- Compositing artist
- Concept artist
- Digital painter
- Effects animator
- Film and video editor
- Flash animator
- Key animator
- Storyboard artist
- Texture artist
- Video game designer
- Visual development artist
Ready for More?
Start your future in animation now. Complete the form to receive:
- More information about the BEAU animation program
- Access to one-on-one assistance from an enrollment coach
- Priority status for financial aid guidance