On the Map: Artists’ Compasses Point Toward Greatness
BEAU has the artists! The Kaye Myhre gallery turned into a kaleidoscope of artistic expression on Friday, March 15, when BEAU held its first ever “On the Map” competition of student art. Organizer and Graphic Design Program Chair, Erin Coleman-Cruz, put together an impressive group of student artists, which made it difficult to pick a winner.
Erin said, “It was amazing to see so many great works of art from our students. I am really proud to have the opportunity to work somewhere, like BEAU, that celebrates our students’ talent with an art show like On the Map.”
Our jurist for the evening, Hikmet Loe, local art history professor who specializes in scholarship of Land Art, Robert Smithson’s “Spiral Jetty”, and local Utah arts, looked at more than 100 entries and was able to come up with some winners, but felt they were all good in their own right. BEAU was honored to have Hikmet be the judge for our show.
The winners for BEAU’s first On the Map competition were:
- 1st place: Scott Shields, “Media Smoothie Blender Logo” (Digital logo)
- Runner Up: Andrew H. Adams, “David Moriarty” (Charcoal on paper)
- 3rd place: Parker Harrison, “ASI Website”
- Honorable mention: Andrew H. Adams, “I am not who you think I am.” (wire sculpture)
- Honorable mention: Kacy Shearer, “Negative.” (Pen, ink, and watercolor on paper)
- BEAU Purchase Award: Sharleen Hargreaves, “Old Blue”
The event attracted industry professionals, other artists and members of our local community. BEAU really encourages people to come and participate with our students, staff and programs, while learning about the digital media industry and the Salt Lake art scene. BEAU is honored to have several groups, including Utah Women in Film, LTA records and MPAU, using our building. If your group is interested in participating with BEAU, call Bob at 801-300-4317.