Request Info

Request Info

Find out what BEAU can do for you. We can assist you with possible scholarship opportunities, credit for work experience, and much more.

By checking the box above, you are giving your express written consent for BEAU to contact you regarding our programs and services using email, telephone, or text—including our use of automated technology for calls and periodic texts to any wireless number you provide. Message and data rates may apply. This consent is not required to purchase goods/services and you may always call us directly at 877-437-6060.

SHARE: Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on Pinterest

Meet Rando Schmook – The Amazing Rando

Why do students attend BEAU – Broadview Entertainment Arts University? Why should you attend? One reason is you get to learn from people like Rando Schmook.

Rando teaches in the Entertainment Design, Digital Video and Game Art programs. He offers a multitude of experiences for students, including connections with the film industry, applied learning projects and serving as a mentor.

In his own words, here’s what Rando has to offer students at BEAU:

entertainment design

Rando Schmook, executive program chair, BEAU-Broadview Entertainment Arts University

Since graduating in 1981 with a Master of Architecture degree from the University of Washington, in Seattle, I have pursued a variety of professions including instructor and administrator for higher education, project consultant for large scale construction, in-house set designer for TV commercials, and from 1991 – 2010 had a successful career as an art director and production designer for motion pictures.  In 2010 I joined BEAU – Broadview Entertainment Arts University to help establish and develop a new Bachelor of Fine Arts degree-based college in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I am currently the program chair for Entertainment Design and Digital Video at BEAU.

Early in my teaching career while serving as the Programs Administrator at the Seattle College of Design, I was responsible for maintaining the core curriculum, moderating faculty meetings and coordinating the college’s vision with the requirements of the northwest regional accreditation board.  In addition to my role as an instructor for design principles, visual communication and building methods, I coordinated a community outreach program and regularly traveled to high schools meeting with students to propose the College of Design as a viable alternative to traditional state universities. 

In 1986, I became the lead designer for ArtDemo Inc., a scenic production house specializing in scenic design for television broadcast advertising. I was responsible for supervising multiple projects, from preliminary design through fabrication and installation, which included coordinating work flow between ArtDemo, the managing production house and the supervising advertising agency.  

Throughout my career as a production designer for motion pictures I have been given the responsibility of managing budgets, some small others immoderate and an ever increasingly diverse work force of skilled professionals.  As a production designer I am responsible for coordinating daily operations in the Art Department from the planning stages through implementation and execution simultaneously meeting strict deadlines and rigid budget constraints.  Some films I have been creatively involved in are Drop Dead Fred, My Cousin Vinny, Desperate Measures, A Simple Plan, 10th & Wolf, X-Men (1.0), Ali, and Mystery Science Theater 3000 where I earned the nickname “The Amazing Rando”.

I am also an accomplished fine artist with relatively recent gallery shows in Beverly Hills and Venice, California.  My work resides in numerous private collections in Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle and Pittsburgh.

PREVIOUS